Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Warm Up- Day 1

Today I'm beginning my warm up. If I view this journey as a race, this point in time would be when I start walking. When I start a run I usually warm up with a fast paced walk for about five minutes so that my muscles can get loose and so that I can prepare for the more grueling work ahead of me.

When people begin a diet plan they usually start out with great intentions and ready to tackle the quest ahead of them with gusto. They set a date, buy the food (or the shakes or pills or whatever), and go full force on day one, practically starving themselves and ending the day feeling great. Bring on day two! Day two (for me, anyway) tends to go similar to day one but already the feelings of enthusiasm are starting to wane and the day ends with exhaustion and questioning (can I really do this? do I WANT to do this?). By the time we are done with day three we have pretty much given up.

Okay, so maybe this isn't your experience. Maybe you've got far more will power than I do, but I certainly can't be the only one who has had this exact thing happen many, many times in my life, right? So this time I'm trying something new. I've decided that, in order to lose weight properly, I need to get right emotionally first and I know that this means deepening my relationship with God and making Him my number ONE priority.

So begins my warm up. I'm not overdoing it. I'm starting slow and small and this will set me on the course for bigger and better things in the future. Make small changes and don't overwhelm yourself by going out, guns blazing, and then having no ammunition for when it really gets tough. Take your time. Spend this time just growing closer to God and learning to let Him fill you up. The rest will come if you are patient.

Patiently Pursuing Him...

No comments:

Post a Comment